“Are we on track for retirement?” is often the first question a client will ask. Fortunately, with your suite of retirement planning reports, you can prepare for client conversations and use these visual charts to help answer this question and more.
To access a client’s retirement reports, go to Reports > All Reports > Retirement Planning. From here, you’ll see a drop-down menu of report options.
Let’s target a few retirement-related questions you may encounter and the accompanying reports that will satisfy your clients’ inquiries.
Will I need to reduce my expenses in retirement?
This may prompt you to walk your clients through how much they are spending versus what’s coming in to offset those expenses.
- Retirement Expenses Report helps clients understand how their living expenses, taxes, and other expenses add up each year and over the lifetime of their retirement. It provides an easy to understand, visual overview and break downs a client’s expected retirement expenses from their base facts or a scenario. Using this report, you can discuss potentially reducing retirement expenses, taxes, or liability payments to meet their goals.
- Retirement Income Report outlines income sources like Social Security, pension plans, annuitized annuities, and other income streams that will help to offset clients’ retirement expenses. It also includes any investment income and planned distributions taken from their retirement accounts and other assets.
Should I save more today to help reach my retirement goals?
You can touch on building retirement assets to show clients how the actions they take today impact their future retirement savings.
- Building Retirement Assets Report shows a detailed breakdown of existing portfolio assets, including planned savings and employer contributions for the current year. It also projects your clients savings and contributions from now until retirement, and shows estimated growth and total projected portfolio assets at retirement.
- Pro tip: A quick Advanced Plan showing the impact of increased savings or retirement plan contributions can show clients how saving a little more each month has a profound impact on their assets at retirement age.
How can I achieve my retirement goals?
Pull everything together with a complete summary of all the information you’ve reviewed so far while providing options for how to proceed with meeting your client’s goals.
- The Looking at Everything Report allows you to review all the retirement reports together, detailing how income and expenses break down over the entirety of their retirement. This report condenses what’s already presented in the Cash Flow report to focus solely on the impact of the plan in their retirement years.
- Options for Meeting Needs provides options for clients who haven’t reached that level of security on how to proceed. This report explains key steps your clients can take to bring their retirement under control. It presents three techniques to help meet the client’s desired retirement goals—saving more now, delaying retirement age, or reducing expenses to a manageable level.
There are many other methods and reports available in eMoney for answering that common client question, “Am I on track for retirement?” but the above reports are a great start. If you have a full financial picture in the client’s base case and can demonstrate a plan of action to present these key reports, you should provide your client with some clarity around this valuable topic.